Wednesday 21 August 2013

Run the Rockies 5k



Wow I can't believe how August is flying by...I went on a mini-vacation this past weekend to the mountains and kicked it off with a 5k trail run in Hinton.  The first thing I will say is I am not a trail runner, I like my ashpalt, but this run was fantastic and the swag bag was great too...and yes that is a "Bear bell" as part of the participants swag...and yes I wore mine for the race...but not the shirt...lime green is just not my colour. LOL



The course had some great elevations changes - and the recent rains had washed out some of the gravel so pot holes, debris and loose footing were all part of the trail charm along with the twisty path and a nice lake to look at part of the time.

I will admit the "Cougar in Area" warning sign on the trail gave me a moments pause...but thankfully no one encounter any such thing.  According to my Garmin my run time was 40:51and the official time (manual not chipped) was 42:01 but what I know is that I finsished the race listening to AC/DC's Thunderstruck...as planned...so my estimation of the extra time trail running would take was right on...which looking back is kinda impressive since I had no idea what to expect from the course.


I collected my 5k ribbon at the end and yes I will be back again next year...I did manage to get a pre-race selfie in the hotel...had to be there as I wasn't gonna pack my camera to the run...and no I am not taking any post race pictures - lol

According to the Hinton paper there were around 200 runners in the 4 events (1/2 marathon, 10k, 5k and kids 1k).  In the 5k there were 56 women registered, 50 finished and I finished #26.  The event raised funds and food for the Hinton food bank and for the local woman's shelter



After the race I headed back to the hotel and packed up... next stop...maligne canyon and a short hike...lol

Since I have lots of great pics I will be posting groupings and hyperlinks so if your following along...there is more to come.



Namaste

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment