Thursday 22 August 2013

Johnston Canyon - Lake Louise-Banff Area

After visiting the Lake Lousie ski resort and seeing the Grizzly Bear it was off to Johnston Canyon for another hike...

I had heard that you should go to the canyon early to avoid the crowds...I had no idea...got there around noon and wow in some places wall to wall tourists...but the further you went the less there were...





The canyon path is a combination of ashpalt and catwalks with some winding in and out of the forest...very beautiful



This is one of those catwalks I mentioned that go out over the river...




 This is the lower falls...absolutely breathtaking...























From the bridge those people were standing on in the pic before























There is also a hole in the rocks that you can get a closer view of the falls from...and of course I had to go...













View from inside the passage through the safety railing
















 This is what that area looks like as I moved on to the upper falls pathway


The path to the upper falls has more catwalks (YAY!!) Heights and bridges give me some major anxiety...and now I can add catwalks to that list as well.  Now I have never let it stop me from doing what I wanted to do and this trip was no different but it did cause some WTF moments...
But thankfully there were more moments that were AMAZING vs anxiety causing...good thing...but just look at the pics...such a beautiful way to spend an afternoon!

















































Then there was the upper falls - took 2 pics to get the full picture...I would imagine that the path to the ink pots would take me past the top of the upper falls - but the warnings were posted that travel in groups of 4 or more was necessary if going further (done when bears are frequent)...and with this being a solo trip...the ink pots were just not in the cards this time































On the way back though I notices this overhang...must have missed it in one of my anxiety moments crossing these catwalks...but I am glad I caught it on the way back...very cool!















Hyper links...
Adventure begins...5K Run in the Rockies, then on to Maligne Canyon...plus there is that wildlife...a must see...more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment