Wednesday 1 January 2014

1000 mile running challenge - 2014

I have committed to a couple of running related goals for 2014.While just getting out there and running is great I thought it would be good to have something more to be accountable to then "did I run?" I am going to limit the running related goals to two specific one...they are:

#1 to run at least 100 days in 2014. That being said I am aiming for more...like every other day.

#2 on those run days to have, by 11:59 pm December 31, 2014, covered 1000 miles.  Yes 1000 miles, 1600 km!  Yikes!!! LOL sounds like a challenge!!! Oh how I love a challenge :)

Things like increase speed and endurance will come with time and are worthy goals as well but I see them more as the outcome of the two goals then separate goals on there own...some days I run faster and/or farther than others...that is a simple fact.

What I have noticed with the crazy amount of snow we have had (177cm so far since 2nd week of November) is that running on ice and in snow is harder than dry pavement...it takes longer and if the temps are crazy (-30C with or without windchill) then I don't run as far...at least not outside.  I need to have the flexibility to focus on the bigger picture and run as nature and my body dictate without some idea, that faster and further is better, driving me all the time.

I already have a couple of half marathons planned...the Hypodermic Half-Marathon in February and the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll Half-Marathon in November.  I may pick up one or two more in between, but the world is full of other runs too - 5ks...10ks and others abound both virtual and those worth travelling to.  Hinton Run the Rockies will be another one I travel to this year!

I have signed up for the US ROAD RUNNING-AIM HIGH Program and that is where I got the idea for the 1000 mile goal...I also have monthly runs with them and am participating in the Fit 4 Life -Muffins to Marathons Full Moon Challenge that has a 5k on every day with a full moon.

Of course if you know me I have become a bit of a bling whore since starting running last year so other virtual races are just a natural expectation.  I also like challenges and well this combines bling and a challenge...my kinda thing!!!

I will keep a running total at the bottom of this blog but won't go into much more detail then that unless I find something particularly challenging, funny or reach a mile stone...so have fun...and keep running!




January 1 (1/100) - 7.64km or 4.75 miles...and so it begins!
January 2 (2/100) - 13.80km or 8.57 miles. Total miles so far 13.32/1000...only 986.68 to go :).
These past 2 runs earned me this vitual race medal...and yes I know it says 2013 on it but I was saving it to kick 2014 off right!


January 4 (3/100) - 5.18km or 3.22 miles. Total miles 16.54/1000...and these were some cold miles -26C (-15F) with the windchill,  but had on the right gear and wasn't cold at all...except for my uncovered face... and that pic was taken at about the 3/4 way point...it was worse when I was running in the other direction...into the wind...had icicles on my eyelashes!  :)


January 6 (4/100) - 6.13km or 3.81 mile run at lunch in the park...temp was +1C (-4C (25F) with the windchill) so a great time for running...unfortunately it was cloudy not like the sun and blue sky of my last run...the warmth made the trail, though groomed, pretty soupy - like running on wet sand...but it was a great run.  After work I can home and did the fitness test that is part of the Fit 4 Life Fitness Challenge I am doing and that had a 1 mile run in it - so total for the day was 7.93km or 4.81 miles...pretty good for a Monday!

January 9 (5/100) - 6.29km or 3.91miles in at lunch in the park.  Temp was 0, but -6 with wind (21F).  Didn't want to run today but did it anyway and was glad I did.  Pace was 9:00 min/km or 14:28/mile  which is faster than the mile I ran the other night on the treadmill - that was 16:16 for 1 mile and felt much harder!  LOL

January 13 (6/100) - 4.98 km or 3.09 miles again in the park.  Technically it was the same as the January 9th run but I didn't start my Garmin at the beginning.  I am going with the if it is not recorded it did not happen approach so I am only counting 4.98km of it today.  Total so far 44.02 km or 27.35 miles.  The weather is supposed to be fantastic all week so I am looking forward to some more running.

January 19 (7/100) 3.80 km or 2.36 miles done for Megs Miles - it was more walking then running but Strep Throat has set me back a bit and I don't want to make it worse,

January 22 (8/100) - 5.17 km or 3.21 miles at lunch in the park...had a break from a full out run of a week and a half basically due to Strep Throat.  Tonight is the last night of antibiotics, and I just needed to go for a run. It was both my worst run and my best run in a while...worst because physically everything felt weak and I was breathing harder then usual, but best because it was so nice out , sunny and 6C (43F) and it felt so good on the emotional and mental side to be back at it.  

January Total - 8 runs in for a total of 54.27km or 33.92 miles...not as far or as often as I had planned but being sidelined with strep throat, that turned into a sinus infection and having the flu on top of that has made the last part of January and first part of February totally suck...here we are at February 7th and I have yet to get a run in since January 22 - if dreaming of running counts then I have done lots but since it doesn't I am feeling a little behind the 8-ball with my first half marathon coming up in 9 days...I want to get out and run but I also don't want to overdue it too soon...gotta find a balance...not sure what that is...last 2 weeks were supposed to be tapper weeks so I guess I will stick with that - run less but still run - but part of me wants to run big!!!! but I will need to save that for next weekend...short runs...I can do that...fingers crossed :)  But not today - just started a new course of antibiotics yesterday so gonna give them 1 more full day before I go for a run...till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment